Every Thursday until December, you are able to buy a box of fresh vegetables and fruits in the Green Office. The boxes, provided by Foodhub, come in three sizes – small, medium, and large. Purchasing one is a great opportunity for those who love to cook and eat veggies.
Today I had a chance to test it out for myself. I purchased a small box, which included few apples and pears, lettuce, one ear of corn, red bell pepper and cabbage. As many people don’t cook with corn, I tested out some yummy grilled corn and salsa salad recipes[/cmsms_text][cmsms_heading type=”h4″ font_weight=”normal” font_style=”normal” text_align=”left” margin_top=”0″ margin_bottom=”20″ animation_delay=”0″]Grilled Corn[/cmsms_heading][cmsms_text animation_delay=”0″]
Grilled corn is a great dinner side or a simple snack. You will need:
– Ear of corn
– Butter (1 tablespoon)
– Salt and pepper
– Cheese (optional)
- Peel off the layers of husk from your corn and brush the ear generously with soft butter. Season lightly with salt and black pepper.
- Wrap the corn in the tin foil loosely to leave room for expansion.
- Cut a very small hole in the foil to allow steam to escape.
- Grill in the oven for about 15-20 minutes (the larger ears may take a little longer).
- Unwrap very carefully and serve immediately with grated cheese allowing it to melt on the hot corn (optional)
My favorite recipe with corn is a salsa salad. You will need:
– 1 can of black beans
– 1 cup of corn kernels
– 1 red bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
– ½ red onion (chopped)
– 1 lime (juiced)
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 1 teaspoon of tabasco
– Chips (optional)
- Remove the corn husks and silk and place the cob in a kettle of unsalted boiling water. Cover the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes until tender.
- While the corn is boiling chop the bell pepper, onion, and juice the lime.
- Once the corn is done, mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, add olive oil and tabasco, let it stand for 5 minutes
- Serve with chips (optional)
We hope you enjoy cooking with the veggies from Foodhub and do not forget to order your own box!